Monday, October 22, 2012

A Closer Look at the Vine

 
Ezekial 17:8  It was planted in good soil by many waters, To bring forth branches, bear fruit, [And] become a majestic vine."


I have to say, I come from a family of “green thumbs.”   You know those people who can plant absolutely anything and it grows beautifully?  Well, that’s my family.  They grow flourishing vegetable gardens, grape vineyards, apple orchards, and colorful, flowing flower gardens that would put the photos in gardening magazines to shame.  And then, well…there’s me.  I have what you would call a “brown thumb.”  Anything I plant usually wilts and dies within days.  I have even managed to kill a cactus, which the experts say is nearly impossible. 


My “green thumb” dad was out to visit me recently.  While looking at my pathetic vine that was mostly brown and leafless, he said something very encouraging, “I think we can save this one.  Just a little Miracle Grow and some water and I think it will come back.”  Now I was amused because I haven’t been able to keep anything alive my entire life.  But I took his advice and gave it a good shot of Miracle grow and lots of water. 
 
This week, I glanced at my vine and to my surprise, I saw a new vine growth coming up the side of my pillar.  I got up closer to the vine and something caught my eye.  I saw these three pronged “hands” that were strategically placed every few inches up the vine.  When I grabbed on to the vine to pull it, these tough little “hands” were holding it firmly on my pillar.  “Ha,” I thought, “Lord, you really are amazing to have designed this vine so perfectly.”  As I stared at this miracle branch that I thought would never have grown under my tender care, the Lord caused me to hear His voice.  It was just His still, small voice in my heart.  He said, “Your life isn’t your own, Stacy.  You aren’t in control of it.   If you took a closer look, you would see my Hand in your life at all times.  I uphold you and guide you with My Hand as you allow Me.”  Isaiah 41:10  Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. 

This special moment with the Lord in my little “garden” really changed my outlook for the week.  I started watching for His righteous Hand in my life as the week went by.   

I had worked Friday and Saturday this weekend.  On Sunday morning, I called to the hospital to see if they needed me.  I was happy when they said they didn’t.  But I knew I had a mission to get my hours in to renew my license in April.  So I called the other hospital to see if I could work there.   I said to the Lord, “I’d love to stay home and if it’s your will, let it be.  But if not, use me today and open doors for me.  Prepare the hearts of those you want me to share with.”  And of course, the other hospital was thrilled that I wanted to work and off to work I went.   

One of my patients was a woman who came in for a suicide attempt.  I started praying for her as I got report on her.  When I got into her room, I could see she was down and sad.  She had no eye contact with me and she was miserable.  Then I asked her, “What’s troubling you, Sarah?”  She immediately turned and looked at me and her heart spilled out like lava from an erupting volcano.  Sarah shared with me that her brother had just gone to prison for life, her boyfriend was cheating on her, her family was all messed up and she was really struggling because no one loved her and she was all alone.  And worse yet, she thought God must be mad at her because she tried to kill herself.  “On the contrary,” I said.  He is compassionate towards you and loves you more than you can imagine.  Not only that, He is calling you by name and wants to be your Lord and your Savior.  If you give your life to Him, everything will change for you.”  She cried in her misery unsure if she should surrender all to Him.  My heart melted like wax for her knowing how hard it is to break away from dysfunction.  I had known the kind of pain and loneliness she was feeling.   But those days had long past as the Lord has restored my heart completely.    

At the end of my shift, Sarah said to me, “I have been thinking about what you said.  I see your happiness and joy and I want to be happy too.  I decided tonight I am going to pray and invite Jesus into my life.”  God had touched her heart and I knew His great love had changed her.

I shared the gospel with this beautiful woman that God so dearly loved.  I prayed with her as she accepted forgiveness and her new life in Jesus Christ. 

As the tears streamed down her cheeks, I thought how wonderful the Hands of my Savior really are.  These beautiful Hands took the nails for me and for Sarah.  And when I took a closer look, I saw His Mighty Hand guiding me and holding me up, and giving me the strength and courage tell people Jesus is their answer.  There really is something special about these Hands.   

My prayer for you is that you take a closer look at your life.  May you see clearly those Hands guiding you and holding you up.  I pray we all come to know that we have been purchased at a price and our lives are not our own.  Nothing happens by chance.  He truly is in control and upholds us and guides us at all times with His mighty Right Hand.  And these Hands that took the nails…make no mistake about it…These are special Hands. 

**All names have been changed to protect identity. 
 
PS  My daughter excitedly came in the house tonight to show me the first flower I ever kept alive in my life!  A picture of God's grace...
 
 
Isaiah 40:8 The grass withers, the flower fades,
But the word of our God stands forever."
 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing! I am so blessed to have you in my life and I look forward to spending more time with you and your family in 2013!

    ReplyDelete