Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Keep it Simple


A have a dear friend who recently met with me to talk about some business ventures I am embarking on.  She was so kind to share how she got started in her business and the philosophy she has followed through the years.   Rhonda shared, “Doing what you love doesn’t have to be complicated.  Just keep it simple.”  I am forever thankful for her advice.  I have taken her advice in starting my new business.  But more than that, I have taken her great advice when I think about doing what I really, really love…sharing the love of Jesus.   

There have been so many opportunities to share about Jesus that I have let slide by because I tried to make it complicated.  I thought I needed to have all of the scriptures memorized in case I would get asked a hard question.  I thought I needed a background in theology or biblical training in order to be able to answer the great mysteries of the bible.   I thought I needed all of these things.  But the reality was I didn’t need a bible college degree.  I just needed to take my friend’s advice.  I just needed to keep it simple.  Today I realized,  I am just a simple woman who is completely loved by an incredible God.   

So this week, I just kept it simple.   

I cared for a woman at the hospital who had such a beautiful name.  I had never heard of it before.  As I got her comfortable in bed, I asked what her name meant.  She answered, “It means LONELY.”  I said, “Awww, you don’t have to be lonely, Jesus loves you!”  She smiled from ear to ear and so did her family.  In fact, her health has declined so much recently, I’m sure she hasn’t smiled for weeks.  By just keeping it simple, I was able to share two very important biblical truths with her.  Deuteronomy 31:6  He will never leave you nor forsake you.  AND  Ephesians 2:4 But God who is rich in mercy, because of his great love, with which He loved us,   Simply put, she doesn’t need to be lonely because God loves her! 

The very next room I went to was a gentleman who just found out he had two cancerous masses in his brain.  As I gave him his medications, the man’s wife shared about his condition.  She said, “He has been the picture of health all of these years and now we are waiting to see what the next step is.”  As I handed him his pills, I said, “You are going on a journey, but you aren’t alone.  God is with you.”  I saw the hope rise up in their hearts as I expressed to them in a simple way that they would not have to go on this journey alone because God is faithful and He would not leave them.    Psalm 23:4  Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, For you are with me; Your rod and your staff, they comfort me.   

Right after this, a hospice representative came in and wanted to introduce herself and give us some literature about her company.  Boldness rose up in me and I said, “I don’t know if this is a conflict of interest or not, but I wanted to let you know, I am starting a private duty nursing business here in Tucson.”  Her eyes got huge and she asked if I would be willing to go to lunch with her.  She was a regional representative for Tucson and she had 250 contacts of people who she could connect me with.  We are meeting for lunch tomorrow to talk about her company and see if we could partner together.  I was thrilled because I had been asking the Lord just one simple thing, “Just open doors for me, Lord.”  So I felt compelled to tell her.  She smiled and said, “Maybe he is opening doors with me.”  It was just a simple comment, but for a moment, this woman shared in my faith.  The faith that says God opens my doors and closes them and He is in complete control of my life.  Revelation 3:7  What he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open.   

Some days my heart breaks for those I care for.  Some days I keep it so simple I don’t even use words.  I have no words to comfort  those who are hurting and sick.  I just simply ask God to show Himself through me.  When I go in to the patient’s room, all I have is a smile and it’s contagious!  Even the worst crabby,  angry, or depressed person can’t resist the joy of the Lord.   Psalm 16:11 You will show me the path of life; in your presence is the fullness of joy; at your right hand or pleasures forevermore.  This biblical truth was expressed so simply I didn’t even use words.   

So today I celebrate in my simplicity and I encourage you to take my friend’s great advice.  Keep it simple.  It takes all the pressure off knowing we don’t need to know all of the answers to the great mysteries of the bible.  We don’t need to know all of the scriptures.  We just need to keep it simple.  It’s just that simple!  Psalm 119:130  The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment